Monday, October 17, 2011

What a busy and Amazing week!

So much has happened in the last week!  I’m sorry if this update is a bit scattered and choppy.  As I am writing this, I am hoping to get to bed before midnight and therefore, I probably won’t take the time to mess with transitions from each subject J  Hope you don’t mind! 
October 11th was a holiday here in Bashkortostan.  Republic Day is a holiday to celebrate the day that the Declaration of state sovereignty was signed in 1990.  (Side note: this means that the rest of Russia does not have this holiday, so we got a very special experience by living in the Republic of Bashkortostan! J)  It was such a great day!!  We did not have school, some of our transportation was free, we were able to celebrate with our Russian friends and play games at a friend’s apartment, and then go see an AMAZING fireworks show.  This was definitely the best fireworks show I have ever seen!  The fireworks were SO close to us!  You probably would never see an organized fireworks show this close in the States (partially because of safety regulations… )  But because they were so close, it seemed like they covered the entire sky!  It was SO much fun!  This day brought me some much needed emotional rest, and was overall a truly great day! 
We held our bi-weekly cooking/craft class last Wednesday.  We cooked an enchilada casserole and cheesecake brownies.  It was fun and the food was Wonderful!  We had a great time building relationships with the women that came.
Saturday night, Shannon and I were able to see the ballet Swan Lake performed!  The international department at the university helped us get tickets and we saw some of our classmates there.  It was so AMAZING! I absolutely loved it!  I still cannot believe that I was able to see Swan Lake in Russia!  Definitely had a “I can’t believe I live in Russia” moment on this one. 
Shannon and I are planning a trip to Moscow!!  With the HandsOn program, we are allowed 5 vacation days, so we are going to visit Moscow on those days.  I am SO unbelievably excited!!  I have wanted to see Moscow for so long!  We are going to meet up with some of the m’s that are serving there and spend 3 days sightseeing and souvenir shopping.  Shannon and I are planning to visit at least 48 of the 52 Starbucks that are in Moscow. (Side note: Be on the lookout for info about a video that we will be making that will be related to Starbucks!  It is going to be life-changing, I promise!) 
It is beginning to get a bit on the cold side now.  I actually had to break out my heavy coat for the first time a couple of days ago, and this morning we saw snowflakes for the first time! 

Prayer requests:
·         I am feeling a bit sick right now.  I had a slight fever earlier today (though I think that may have lessened by now)
·         Shannon and I would be able to see exactly where God would have us focus our time and energy in serving here
Answered Prayers:
·         Some of you knew that I had been feeling a bit drained and in need of rest.  Thank you so much for your prayers!  They have definitely been answered!  I am feeling much more revived! J
I have another opportunity for any of you to get involved with the work that is going on here.  If you would like to be praying for a specific person or group of people here, I can give you names and a little info about some people so that you can pray more specifically.  Eileen already has connections with people and groups in the States that pray for specific women who she knows here in Ufa.  I can facilitate getting some info and then periodic updates on specific people to you for now and then when I head back to the States, I can get you connected with Eileen so she can keep you updated on the same person(s) or give you info/updates on another person(s).  Just let me know if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment