One of our daily devotionals from a week ago was focusing on Gideon. Here is a quote from this devotional:
“We have nothing to offer but our willingness to serve Him. It is not about our ability, it is not about our gifts. It is not about our talents and it is not about our knowledge. Just as it was with Gideon, it is not about our ability, it is about our usability. It is about our willingness to be obedient to God and allow Him to do His work through us. Like any good soldier we are asked to just show up for duty. We do not have to ask why or how, we just have to report. We must learn to depend on God for every need. His work in this world is never about you.”
It is very comforting to know that God’s plan is not dependent on my abilities, because if it was, I would be insufficient.
I have also been listening to some podcasts from David Platt. A couple of them that I listened to on Sunday focused on finding rest in Christ which was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment! I know this is going to be continually comforting to me. Knowing that God’s satisfaction in me is not based on my works and focusing on resting in the fact that Christ will work through me is such a comforting feeling! Realizing that nothing will be done by my power so I don’t have to work so hard to make it happen. I just have to rest in Christ and follow where He leads and let Him do the work.
Side note: if you are feeling somewhat worn down in your Christian life (or even if you aren’t, this still might be good for you to hear) Listen to David Platt’s podcasts titled : The Disciple’s Identity Part 1: You in Christ, and The Disciple’s Identity Part 2: Christ in You.
I can already see God working in me in several ways. For one, He is definitely leading me to build my prayer life and be in a much more constant state of prayer. He has also seen it fit to remove many of the distractions I would normally be surrounded with (tv, internet, normal hang outs,)-so that I can be spending more time with Him! Hopefully I will be persistent in building my self-discipline in these and other areas!
Some of our devotionals have also been focusing on ministering like Jesus. I will probably be sharing some of these devotionals with some of you as well, because the things I am being taught through these could be extremely important to you as well. Something that hit home with me is that I need to be willing to join God WHEREVER He is working (not just where I feel comfortable) and be constantly looking for how God is already working on those I meet. God is speaking to each person’s heart already (they may or may not be listening, but He is speaking to them), and it is my job to be watching to see how He is working with them and then join in with that. So, this is what I’m working towards now!
No comments:
Post a Comment